As mentioned before there are many ways to prevent becoming a victim of check fraud most of which fall into three categories (1) maintaining control of your checks blank or written, (2) check security features in the manufacturing of the checks as well as (3) using the right type of ink. We have already cover the type of ink to use, so let's continue with maintaining control and check security features.
Maintaining control of your checks:
It is important to maintain control over the check especially when you send a check through the mail. The key is to prevent the wrong people (criminals) from obtaining your check to alter it any way.
· Do not leave outgoing mail in an unlocked mailbox. Be sure to maintain control of your written checks from the time you write it to the time it goes into the post office or directly to the mail carrier.
· Do not leave the red flag raised. This is an obvious sign saying: Thief, please come over and take a look in my mailbox.
· Install a lock on your mailbox. This will prevent your incoming mail from being stolen.
· Ask your bank if you can pick up your book of checks at the bank branch.
· Be sure to shreds canceled checks and keep books of blank checks in a safe or lock box.
· Examine bank statement after receiving them. It is important to report any check fraud within 30 days of receiving your monthly statement, otherwise the bank does not have to reimburse you for loss.
Check security measures:
Check manufactures help deter check fraud by making checks difficult to copy, alter, or counterfeit by using some of the following security measures:
· Watermarks: Watermarks are made by applying different degrees of pressure during the paper manufacturing process. This offers protection from counterfeiting because copiers and scanners generally cannot accurately copy watermarks.
· Chemical Voids: Chemical voids involve treating check paper in a manner that is not detectable until eradicator chemicals contact the paper. When chemicals are applied, the treatment causes the word "VOID" to appear, making the item nonnegotiable.
If you Google check washing or check fraud you will find a lot of information. Remember to maintain control of your checks when sending them in the mail, use the check security features to your advantage and write your checks with Gel ink. And as always, be sure to use common sense when it comes to your keeping control over your checks and your bank account information. Happy check writing.
Page Maintained by: Jennifer Shulman
Jennifer is committed to helping her clients as well as other folks improve their daily financial circumstances by providing simple financial solutions.